England Cricket Team: A Force to Reckon With in World Cup 2023
England, the reigning ODI world champions, are one of the favourites to lift the trophy in the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup 2023. Led by the explosive Jos Buttler, the team boasts of a formidable batting line-up, a balanced bowling attack, and a versatile all-round department. In this blog post, we will look at some of the key players, hidden gems, and records of the England team, as well as some fantasy tips for the cricket enthusiasts.
Jos Buttler (c): The captain and wicket-keeper of the team, Buttler is arguably the best white-ball batsman in the world right now. He has the ability to score runs at a rapid pace and change the course of any game with his innovative strokes. He has scored 3843 runs in 153 ODIs at an average of 40.03 and a strike rate of 119.88, with 10 centuries and 23 fifties. He also holds the record for the fastest ODI hundred by an England player, off just 46 balls against Pakistan in 2015.
Ben Stokes: The hero of the 2019 World Cup final, Stokes is a match-winner with both bat and ball. He can anchor the innings, accelerate when needed, and finish with a flourish. He can also bowl useful overs in the middle and at the death, and take crucial wickets. He has scored 2812 runs in 99 ODIs at an average of 40.74 and a strike rate of 94.82, with four centuries and 22 fifties¹. He has also taken 74 wickets at an average of 41.83 and an economy rate of 6.15.
Mark Wood: The spearhead of the England pace attack, Wood is known for his express speed and accuracy. He can trouble any batsman with his bounce and movement, and pick up early wickets. He can also bowl well in the death overs, and restrict the scoring rate. He has taken 64 wickets in 56 ODIs at an average of 36.25 and an economy rate of 5.56. He also has a five-wicket haul to his name, against West Indies in 2019.
Harry Brook: The young batsman from Yorkshire, Brook is one of the most exciting talents in England cricket. He made his ODI debut in July 2021 against Pakistan, and scored a brilliant 83 off 80 balls in his second match. He has a solid technique, a wide range of shots, and a calm temperament. He can bat anywhere in the top order, and provide stability or aggression as per the situation.
Gus Atkinson: The Surrey all-rounder, Atkinson is a surprise inclusion in the England squad for the World Cup. He has played only four List A matches so far, but has impressed with his performances. He can bat in the lower order, and hit some big shots. He can also bowl fast-medium pace, and swing the ball both ways. He has scored 77 runs in four List A matches at an average of 38.50 and a strike rate of 128.33. He has also taken seven wickets at an average of 18.28 and an economy rate of 4.56.
Reece Topley: The left-arm seamer from Sussex, Topley is a specialist in white-ball cricket. He can swing the new ball, bowl tight lines and lengths, and vary his pace and length. He can also bowl well at the death, and execute yorkers and slower balls. He has taken 27 wickets in 18 ODIs at an average of 25.55 and an economy rate of 5.66. He also has two four-wicket hauls to his name, against Australia in 2015 and Ireland in 2020.
– England have played in six World Cup finals so far, winning one and losing five. They won their maiden title in 2019, beating New Zealand on boundary countback after a tied match and a tied super over. They lost their previous finals in 1979, 1987, 1992, and 2015.
– England hold the record for the highest team total in ODI history, scoring 481/6 against Australia in Nottingham in 2018. They also hold the record for the highest successful run chase in World Cup history, chasing down 359 against Pakistan in Nottingham in 2019.
– England have three players in the top 10 of the ICC ODI batting rankings: Jos Buttler (3rd), Jonny Bairstow (6th), and Joe Root (9th). They also have two players in the top 10 of the ICC ODI bowling rankings: Adil Rashid (4th) and Chris Woakes (7th).
– Jos Buttler, Ben Stokes, and Mark Wood are the must-haves in your fantasy team, as they can score points with both bat and ball, and are consistent performers.
– Harry Brook, Gus Atkinson, and Reece Topley are the value picks, as they are relatively unknown and cheap, but can surprise with their skills and potential.
– Jos Buttler is the best choice for captain, as he can score big runs at a fast rate, and also get bonus points for catches and stumpings. Ben Stokes is the best choice for vice-captain, as he can contribute in all three departments of the game.
– Avoid picking players who are injured or out of form, such as Jason Roy, Sam Billings, and Tom Curran. Also, avoid picking players who are likely to be benched, such as Gus Atkinson, Harry Brook, and Reece Topley.
England are a strong and balanced team, with a mix of experience and youth, and a lot of depth and variety. They have the confidence and momentum of being the ODI world champions, and will look to repeat their feat in the World Cup 2023. They have some tough opponents in their group, such as New Zealand, South Africa, and Bangladesh, but they have the quality and capability to overcome them. England are one of the teams to watch out for in the World Cup 2023.